LCH Community Support Service
LCH is privileged to have contributed to the Austin Hospital’s significant research and support activities. We now feel there are opportunities to actively support our local community by providing carers with a personalised and practical support service to give hope, comfort and a little ease to carers as they travel their often overlooked journey.
The LCH Carer Support Service will fund and organise customised support based on the needs of the carer. This includes needs such as in-home support, house cleaning, assistance with accommodation/travel expenses, childcare and many other services.
More information or apply for support
In its first six months the LCH Foundation raised $60,000. This funded a research grant at the Austin Hospital into understanding the spread and growth of bowel cancer in the liver.
Research Title: Mechanisms of renin angiotensin system-regulated growth of colorectal liver metastases.
Head Researcher: Professor Christopher Christophi, Department of Surgery, Austin Health.
Carer Support Project with ONJ Wellness Centre
In July 2012 we were privileged to work with the Olivia Newton-John’s Wellness Centre at the Austin hospital to initiate an innovative carer’s support project. Family caregivers of cancer patients receive little preparation, information, or support to carry out their care giving role. Our contribution of $20,000 to commence this project will enable caregivers to have access to the supports they require to sustain them in their caring role.
LCH raises funds through sponsorship, donations and a variety of community fundraising events, including our Gala Cocktail Night.
To date we have conducted a variety of events including:
- November 2011 – Coloured Ribbon Day (Sacré Coeur Glen Iris)
- February 2012 – Inaugural Deniliquin Morning Tea, Inaugural Gala Cocktail Night (Toorak)
- March 2012 – Hawthorn Relay for Life, Tennis Days at Sacré Coeur Glen Iris and St Kevin’s College Toorak
- May 2013 – Gala Cocktail Night at Leonda
- August 2013 – LCH Golf Day (Commonwealth Golf Club)
- November 2013 – Coloured Ribbon Day (Sacré Coeur Glen Iris)
- Merchandise – beautifully crafted sterling silver jewellery signifying hope and inspiration
More events are planned in 2015 which will enable us to continue to fulfil our vision of providing hope and comfort to carers.